Vibrant Lamb Stew with Vegetables
Ramadan Mubarak to you and to your families.
Ramadan is a powerful month-long reset button for self-renewal and self-discovery. This is the month of change and now is the perfect time to start adapting to new healthy habits.
My name is Hend Ahmed, a pharmacist, registered nutritional therapist and founder of Fitra Nutrition, an educational platform and health consulting service. I am extremely passionate about empowering individuals to take control of their health by embracing a healthy and sustainable way of living to become their optimal selves!
Eating whole, nutrient-rich foods is one of the best ways we know to optimise our health and well-being. These nutrient-dense foods tend to be more satiating, having more fibre and water, making us feel fuller for longer.
With that being said, I would like to share with you one of my ultimate favourite nutrient-dense iftar recipes – Vibrant Lamb Stew with Vegetables! This rich flavourful dish is like a hug in a bowl!
This lamb stew recipe is uncomplicated (a one-pot meal!) and the lamb just melts in your mouth and so do the potatoes! Not only that, but this lamb stew is loaded with nutritious hearty ingredients: onions, garlic, carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, chickpeas and those heart-warming spices such as cinnamon, ginger and turmeric.
You can even make this stew ahead of time and stored in the fridge or freezer, without sacrificing any of the flavour. Be prepared for your taste buds to go on an experience!
Vibrant Lamb Stew with Vegetables
Let this Vibrant Lamb Stew bubble away on your stove for a nutritious hearty iftar.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1kg lamb shoulder, diced
- 4 red potatoes, diced
- 3 carrots, cubed
- 2 red onions, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can tinned chopped tomatoes
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup hot veg/chicken stock (from stock cube or bone broth)
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated (or ½ tsp ginger powder)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 large cinnamon stick (or ½ tsp cinnamon powder)
- 2 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 1 tbsp honey (optional)
- ½ lemon, juice only
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- Handful coriander, garnish
- Heat the oil over a medium heat in a large lidded pot and brown the lamb cubes.
- Remove the lamb from the pot as they are coloured.
- When the pot is empty, heat the olive oil and fry the onions, stirring, for about five minutes until softened.
- Add the garlic, ginger, carrots, potatoes and spices and stir to release the amazing aromas.
- Add the lamb to the pot and stir to combine, cooking for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the lemon juice, tomato paste, pomegranate molasses and honey (if using).
- Add the chopped tinned tomatoes, chickpeas and hot veg/chicken stock.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a low simmer. Cover and cook for about 1h 15 – 1h 30 mins, until the lamb is tender and stew has thickened. If the pan gets too dry, add a little hot water or stock.
- Garnish with coriander and enjoy with brown rice and salad!
For more healthy and easy recipes, feel free to follow me on Instagram and Facebook @fitranutrition! This month, you can also order The Ramadan Nutrition Guide, which has over 100 pages packed with all you need to know to optimise your health this Ramadan.
Last but not least, you can also visit my blog (www.fitranutrition.com), where you will find informative articles, grounded in science to empower you with the tools to choose the right balance nutritionally, and in lifestyle, to support optimal health and wellness.